GETTING MARRIED AT ST PETER’S, BEDFORD
We have a beautiful and holy building which is a perfect place for weddings; with a team of experienced Bell Ringers (the Bells at St Peters have been ringing for services and special occasions for hundreds of years) we are able to ensure that your special day is a personal and happy occasion. To marry at St Peter’s you will need to show just one of the following connections to the Parish of St Peter’s.
That one of you:
1. has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least six months or
2. was baptised in the parish or
3. was prepared for confirmation in the parish or
4. has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or that one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
5. has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
6. has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
7. that one of your parents or grandparents was married in the parish church
It is important to speak to the Revd Kelvin Woolmer or the church Adminstrator as soon as you can, (see contact page for details)so that you can fix a date to discuss and start the preparations. The minister will also invite you to meet to help prepare you for married life together. It’s a no obligation invitation, but one that many couples appreciate, providing time and space to think about the vows and the difference they will make to you both.
Download Wedding or Banns application forms
Wedding application (Word) Wedding application (pdf)
SERVICE DETAILS (Word) SERVICE DETAILS (Pdf)
The Banns are announcements in church of your intention to marry and for a chance for anyone to put a reason why the marriage may not lawfully take place. They must be read on three separate occasions. If St Peter’s is not your Parish church then they must also be read at your Parish Church and vice versa. In these occasions, everyone in church will also be praying for you, it is very special and moving and we ask that where possible you are both there.
St Peter’s will always be there for you throughout your marriage if you need it and we would be delighted to mark your first anniversary by praying for you both, all you have to do is ask.
What will it all cost (Fees and charges)
There is a required statutory legal fee for marrying in a church, set by the Church of England nationally.
You may also find the following link useful www.yourchurchwedding.org whilst thinking and planning your special day.
The Marriage Service
Calling of Banns
Certificate of Banns (if marrying at another church)
The statutory fee does not include the following optional extras:
Church Heating (normally required October – April)